Wednesday, January 17, 2018

We Bought a Farm: Baby it's cold outside!

Well, I heard it was a record in these parts ... early in January we dropped below freezing and stayed there for an entire week.

Now that isn't any big deal for people in Minnesota who are used to it. I mean, I lived there for four years, and it could go weeks without getting above freezing.

But around here, we aren't used to it. And even worse is the fact that our farm isn't equipped for it. It doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on preparing for this cold when it happens so rarely.

Anyways, that week passed, and we actually found ourselves in the 60's. It felt so hot we were working the fields in our tank tops, and at one point, the girls actually stripped down to their boots and underwear while helping me move the sheep.

And then, the cold came back!!! We are down in the single digits again, but this time, with the cold, we got some of the white stuff. So funnnnnnnn to actually have some snow if it is going to be that cold.

The kids actually went out sledding two times today. I dried all their clothes, they warmed up, and then they went out again. At one point, the four of them were out there by themselves just going up and down over and over again. I realized, it has been a decade of John or I having to be present for anything our kids did. And suddenly, they are getting old enough to do things themselves.

Sidge started crying two times today -- sad that the sledding may be over for the year. Firstly, we could very well have enough snow to sled tomorrow again. Secondly, I tried to explain to him how lucky he is! John and I grew up without snow. And many kids grow up without a good hill to sled on. How amazing to just walk outside of their house and SLED!!! That resonated with him.

We came inside to have dinner, and met a new WWOOFer. Sicong has joined us for a two week stint. I was planning on not hosting anyone for a few months, but when he contacted me, it was the perfect timing with a busy ballet season upon us.

After dinner, Grama made snow ice cream with the kids. Boy did they love that. And it was pretty good!!!!

Here are a couple of videos I took of our cold but fun-filled day!




No comments: