Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Happy Birthday Erin

 







Sometimes, a friend comes out of of nowhere and simply shocks you with their presence. THAT is my friend Erin. 

Erin's husband, Craig, went to school with John and me at Fort Lauderdale Christian. While John and Craig were great friends, Craig and I really pushed each other's buttons and didn't find any great commonality. 

Years went on and Craig met Erin. Married her. John was in the wedding. The rehearsal dinner was the first time I even met Erin. She seemed nice. Beautiful. Elegant. Sophisticated. Way out of my league for friendship.

Years went by. Rarely talked to them. Then, somehow, and I don't even remember how this happened, they were coming through our area when we lived in Nashville for the year. I think it was just Erin and the kids. I don't remember, but I think we just spend a day together.

She and hit it off like hotcakes! (Is that an expression?)

She came back to the farm again. And again. I think Craig was there sometimes. Sometimes not. He was in the Air Force. A "JAG" as they call them. But each time, Erin and I would have this sorta, "Man, I really like you" thing. We could talk and talk and talk. We just saw the world so similarly.

We weren't similar mind you. Erin grew up as a prima ballerina. I was a basketball player. She lived in New England before ballet took her to Miami. She found Jesus, really found him, later in life. And Craig? He is now one of my favorite people. Truly. An incredible man. Devoted to his family. Intelligent. Helpful. Kind. 

While living on Langley Air Force Base, they found out Craig was going to deploy again. Because of COVID, Erin had not really plugged into that Base. So, sort of on a whim, she called me. What if she came and lived with us during his deployment and embraced farm life? And so she did.

And our friendship was SEALED. Erin is truly "my people." She is there for me always. She encourages me always. She is authentic. She is real. She is not afraid to grow and change and adapt (something that is truly hard for most people!) She will look deeply at herself, see a fault, and work to change it. She loves my kids. She loves me. She gets me. 

And today is her birthday.

When you meet Erin or see her from afar, she "seems" like one of those women that everyone would be friends with. She "feels" out of your league. That's weird to say, but truly, that's how she appears. But truly, she isn't nearly as "tough" as she appears on the outside. She's a rockstar. A wonderful lady. My best friend. I love her to pieces. 

Happy Birthday Erin. I am sure this post didn't do you justice, but I am SO glad you are in my life. I know sometimes it seems like I don't need people. But I really, really needed you.



No comments: