Saturday, June 18, 2016

We Bought a Farm: 15,000 steps

I have been struggling to find time and energy to exercise. So I decided to put on a pedometer and see how many steps I am getting on the farm. I have heard that 10,000 is considered a good number of steps. Yesterday, I got 15,000. This solidified the idea that I am okay just doing my farm work and not adding exercise. This is hard for me, an "athlete" to accept. That being active is the same as actually exercising. But I am getting there. I am therefore making it my goal to get my steps and not stress about getting a run in.

Here are some images of what has been going on around our farm recently:

Our new WWOOFer Eliza took this photo of our farm. I am continually amazed at all the different angles that represent our life here on the farm. This is a "look" I don't remember ever experiencing. Love this picture.

Speaking of Eliza, here is a silly picture of her. We were testing out the new sheep waterer, and she wanted to see what happened if she opened the valve all the way up. Her left leg displays the dousing she got. Eliza is hoping to buy a farm in a year and is spending this year traveling to different farms and trying to figure out what it is she would like! 


Abigail rode her first horse this past week! This didn't take place on our farm but on a ranch that our church rented out for a summer bash. I was so proud of her for doing this!

Isaac also rode his first horse. Equally proud of him for trying. (Sidge also rode but he has rode before at our friend Karen's farm.) Hannah wasn't interested.

Yesterday was one of the busiest days I have had on our farm. It started at 6am when I did animal chores and then headed out to water about 60 trees. We have not had ANY water on the farm and had to get our new trees watered. Ritter came with me. We would put a hose on a tree and then have five minutes to kill before moving to the next tree. 

My line of trees. While the work was a little "boring" it was a beautiful morning and not as easy as it sounds. Moving that huge hose around was no easy task. And the trees that weren't reached by the hose, I had to water with the 5 gallon bucket.

No comments: