Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Aaaaah to be a kid!

Last Thursday I decided to send a card to my niece Grace. When I visited her in Florida this summer, I noticed she loved "mail". She would draw pictures and pretend they were delivered and then deliver them to me and then take them back.

So I sent her a card with some stickers and a picture in it. But I made a mistake. I TOLD Grace the letter was coming. I didn't think ahead to the struggle her mother would have when she tried to explain why the letter did not come THAT day. Grace was only thinking about one day at a time.

I talked to Grace the other day. She talked to me for a number of minutes. I have no idea what we talked about, but I know it was frivolous. Her whole life is frivilous! How wonderful to be three again. To be three and have your clothes changed, your meals made, your hair brushed, your teeth brushed, your nose picked, your bed made ... Wow to be three.

Gracie was upset because I sent her a letter, told her I sent her a letter, and then the letter didn't come right away. She only thought of the moment.

So that started me thinking. What was I doing when I was three? I pulled out a few photo albums that my mother passed along to me a few years back and found a few pictures that reminded me of what I was doing when I was three.

Today, I look back on being three! The pictures say it all -- I am only concerned about that one moment ... and I want to strive to do that everyday.




No comments: