Thursday, July 04, 2019

WHY is your child in youth sports?




"9 out of 10 kids say they participate in youth sports to have fun." USA Today

Why is Abigail in ballet?
  1.  She wanted to be in it.
  2.  It is fun. 
  3.  She loves the art.
  4.  She enjoys her friends.
What do I hope she gets out of ballet?
  1.  I hope she learns good self-discipline.
  2.  I hope she learns that the body needs exercise.
  3.  I hope she enjoys the fellowship.
  4.  I hope it equips her with poise and grace.
  5.  I hope she meets good role models and becomes one herself.
  6.  I hope she will learn to be encouraging to others.
  7.  I hope she will learn to listen to adults.
  8.  I hope she will develop healthy habits.
  9.  I hope she will learn to set goals and work toward them.
  10.  I hope she will meet many new people
Notice I didn't say anything about any of the following:
  1.  How good she becomes.
  2.  How many big roles she gets.
  3.  How many awards she wins.
  4.  How likely she is to be a professional.
Sports isn't about the sport itself. It's about the bigger picture.

Don't forget it.

 

No comments: