Saturday, March 23, 2019

We Bought a Farm: Breakin' Even

"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the cornfield."Dwight D. Eisenhower





I've learned that farming isn't all neat and tidy with a bow on it. Farms that look like a million dollars probably cost a million dollars and aren't making a single penny. The real farms are ones where real stuff is happening. There are buckets outside. There is wood piled up. Sure, you can work hard to make sure it isn't junky. But in the end, it's truly all about what needs to get done. Sometimes you have wood chips in your hair. Sometimes you are working way longer than you planned. Sometimes you hit the bed at night thinking you've never been more tired in your life.

We got some great news as we prepared our taxes this year. Our little family farm almost broke even. That was our first goal when we bought this place. We just wanted to break even financially. We wanted to eat our meat and vegetables and fruits for free. And we are close. Thank you to all of you who have bought the eggs and meat we have worked so hard for and served them at your own table. You allow us to keep this dream a reality.

I realize how much my kids are farm kids when I see other kids come to our farm, and my kids take teaching them the ropes in such easy strides. My kiddos, they are farm kids now. While they weren't necessarily born with it, they have it in them now. They know how to get the job done even if they don't really feel like doing it sometimes.

I'm so proud to raise children this way. It brings JB and I such joy to see our kids so comfortable with dirt and animals and nature. It's our life now, and I love it,

Wendi

No comments: