Sunday, March 17, 2019

Review: Drive Thru History®

Arabelle showing off the cool case that this program arrives in!
My love for Drive Thru History® is no secret. It is truly one of my very items in my homeschooling arsenal. This time I had the opportunity to review Drive Thru History® "Acts to Revelation". 

The program arrived at my house in a really neat little "case" complete with 3 DVD's and a full-color Study Guide. Here are a few snapshots of what came in the mail to my house:


My niece, Ana (who is in 6th grade) working on her Study Guide questions. (I simply copied them from the book for the kids to do them.)
This package includes 18 episodes and over nine hours of content for right around $90. This may seem like a lot until you realize it is actually $5 an episode with the questions built right in. Not bad for a full day's history lesson.

Host Dave Stotts is incredibly engaging and super funny too. In fact, my kids will often be found repeating some line he used in an episode. (Their favorite is when he talked about wishing his high school PE teacher had used a Roman mile instead of a "normal" mile because it was shorter. If the mile wouldn't have been so long, Dave may not have had to listen to all kinds of name-calling. He then went through a bunch of names he was called, the funniest one being "Cheesecake McJiggle Shorts.")

I truly couldn't come up with a bad thing to say about this program if I tried, and we have watched many other sections of the curriculum since I reviewed for them last year. (As I mentioned in my opening paragraph, I have reviewed for Drive Thru History® before. You can read my review from last year by clicking here.) There are four main sections of curriculum available for purchase. Here are the four. (I'll get to how to buy them later in the review.)
  • Drive Thru History® "Acts to Revelation"
  • Bible History: 18-week trip through Israel, exploring the life of Jesus as covered in the Gospels.
  • American History: 12-week trip through early American history, from Columbus to the Consitution
  • Ancient History: 12-week trip through the empires of Greece, Rome, and Asia Minor
A few notes:
  1. The course curriculum is designed for ages 12 and above. This means that the information in the Study Guide is for kids in middle and high school. I think this is accurate. I tried it with my ten-year-olds, and it was a little too difficult. However, if I went through the questions with them, they could totally follow and answer.
  2. The videos themselves have an age of 5 and up on them. I have let Hannah (age 5) watch them. She can focus for a little bit, but usually doesn't make it through a whole episode. Abigail (age 7) always joins in however. 
  3. One important note is that this program is most definitely taught with a Christian perspective. There are some curriculums that are overlapping, however, this is not one of them. If you are not a Christian and not raising your child with a Christian-world-view, then this is just not the program for you as you can see from Dave's note on the website:

Drive Thru History® "Acts to Revelation"focuses on the events that sparked the dramatic spread of the Gospel in the first century. Stotts is exploring the lives of the very first Christians. He begins in Jerusalem and then sees the Book of Acts as his roadmap, traveling the Mediterranean region to share the people, places, and events that launched the Christian faith.

Episodes include:


Now, here is why this program was especially exciting for us. We lived in Turkey for two years. Numerous times, Dave was in a location that we have been. Check it out:
See Isaac here at the Mosiac museum? This museum is a grouping over 300 mosaic floors created around the 3rd century AD and discovered around 1932. Most are housed in Antioch/Antakya.
Now check out Dave Stotts in the same spot that Isaac is in in the museum! (I stole this screen shot from the video.)
I stole this one from the video as well. This is the Church of Saint Peter. Check out the shapes above the door!
John took this picture. Check it out. That's from the inside of the Church! We visited there as well.
Here is the video that I took of us watching this section. It was seriously SO exciting to see somewhere I've been like this in a video:



Check out my friend Becky by St. Paul's Well in Tarsus (one of my very favorite cities to go to!) And then, watch the video below of Dave standing in the same spot!


I could go on and on with my love of this program. Please take them up on the 7-day free trial. (And this is a REAL free trial. No credit cards! Honest!)

Please check Drive Thru History® out on:

Want to watch an episode for yourself? You can do that totally for free by clicking on the following link: Drive Thru History® "Acts to Revelation".  and entering your email address.

So how do you purchase this? Well, you actually have four choices:
  • JUST THIS PROGRAM: For $89.99 you can receive this DVD set of
    Drive Thru History® "Acts to Revelation".
  • FREE: Free 7-day trial of the 3 Curriculum Courses (Bible, American, and Ancient History). NO CREDIT CARD REQUIRED TO TRY!
  •  MONTHLY: for $12.99 a month you get access to the three courses (Bible, American, and Ancient History) as well as free month-to-month subscription rites to "Adventures TV" which provides access to full epsidoes and new weekly content, special, and behind the scenes.
  • YEARLY: For $124.99 a year you get access to the three courses, the "Adventure TV" and you receive the DVD set of Drive Thru History® "Acts to Revelation". 
I'll be very honest with you. (And you can email or message me directly and discuss with me if you'd like.) If I hadn't received free copies for reviewing, there is no question that I would buy the YEARLY curriculum and just get everything. It will be your entire curriculum for at least a year. It's fantastic. You will not regret this purchase. Ever. It's amazing.

Don't believe me? Click the link below and read some reviews from others who will definitely concur with me!

Drive Thru History®

Crew Disclaimer

No comments: