Tuesday, March 05, 2019

We Bought a Farm: Farm Hiccups

 "The farmer has to be an optimist or he wouldn't still be a farmer.Will Rogers



I am no longer surprised by hiccups on the farm.* I've realized that the nature of what we are doing means that what we are doing can result in hiccups. Most people aren't trying to move their egg-mobile to dry ground. But because we are, errors result. Hiccups happen.

Error #1: Putting the Egg-mobile in this section of the farm during the rainy season.

Error #2: Thinking that the ground was frozen enough to pull the thing out of there. 

The boards didn't work, so now we will implement plans to try and get the truck out:

Plan A: Wait for tonight's freeze and hope the ground is harder.

Plan B: If that doesn't work, load a huge tote of water in the back and fill it to add tons of extra weight.

Plan C: Call one of our neighbors with a tractor to pull us out.

In the midst of this mess this morning, I said to JB and Jacob: "Why do these things keep happening to us?" and they both said: "Because we are farmers."

We take these errors and learn. I realize how much I've learned when people come to visit and have no idea how to move the sheep or set up line. Or they make suggestions that are not even close to possible.  We keep learning.

I wonder how many more lessons we have?

 

To read a previous post I wrote on this topic, click here: The Plan "B"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow this was just what I needed as we have taken Oom Ed's mom in and she has Alzheimers. I am just going to decide I'm a farmer -and then it will all make sense and I won't be suprised at the bumps and hiccups --especially when life feels like Alice in Wonderland. I will remember I will look back and see how much I have learnt and how much love has gone on in the midst!
LOVE you Wen Tante Jan

Becky Randles said...

Oh the things I could tell you Wendi! Life is an adventure on the farm .It does teach your children how to land on their feet! Wish I had written these things down at the time to remind me that I did survive! Hang in there Mom!