Saturday, December 09, 2017

We Bought a Farm: I Love the food we are making!

Our friend Michelle K. recently bought two of our turkeys and some of our lamb. This week she sent us a comment on our Facebook page thanking us for our meat. I love that people recognize it is about TASTE and the treatment of the animals. Both are hugely important to us. We truly like to say that our animals will only have one bad second in their life. (P.S. as always, I greatly respect you if you choose to be a vegetarian, but being as we are raising meat on our farm, I won't get into a debate about it!)

Here's the note from Michelle:

I love cooking this time of year. Mostly because the hard work is done and all I have to do is get creative with the leftovers. Last night was left over Turkey PotPie. Tonight we was Lamb Pie with leftover potatoes and veggies. I’m also love that I’m cooking with meat from John Kitsteiner and Wendi Kitsteiner.

On Thanksgiving as I was preparing the bird Alli was watching and asking questions, “What’s that?” Why are you doing that?” And as she puzzled she came to the big question. “How did it die?”

Now I won’t argue with anyone who choses not to eat meat because it is always a question of humane treatment. But for me it was so amazing in that moment to know beyond a doubt that this animal was treated well it’s whole life. That it was raised in the fresh air with children running around and when the came time it was respected. It was wonderful to answer her honestly about how it lived and died. Thanks guys. What you are doing is so very important.


No comments: