Saturday, March 12, 2011

Party of Five

And then there were five.

Counting Scrubby? Six. But then the "Party of Five" title wouldn't work. So I'll stay with five.

Veronica is doing FANTASTIC. The boys act like she has always been here. Her name usually comes out as some variation of "On-ica" or "Er-on-ica." Scrubs has completely accepted On-ica into the pack as well. She is one of the family, and an equal member in all eyes.

Yesterday I went to the M1 with the boys, Veronica, Stebbs and her Mom. We met Rana and her little kiddos there. At one point, I was holding Isaac and Elijah started to cry. When he saw my arms were full, he immediately turned to find Veronica, just as he would if it were me and JB. This was wonderful to see, as I had hoped the kids would see her as a "big sister" sooner rather than later. Sooner it is.

Veronica has spent the first week trying to get her sleep flipped. With some help from Ambien, she has done just that. She has her own room and own bathroom upstairs. We already have a pretty good system for what I need and what she needs. At the beginning of the week, I give her a rough "outline" of the week to come and when I might need her help. For instance, this past week I used her so I could go out with friends for lunch. JB and I also had a date night (something we have been meaning to do since the boys were born.) She also watched the boys when I had to take JB into work or pick him up as there was lots of rain this week so the van was in high demand. I was able to just take Isaac to go pick JB up from work since Elijah was asleep instead of having to ask a neighbor or wake Elijah up or as JB to find a ride. It is amazingly liberating!

Other than the time I request for her to help, her time is her's to spend as she wants. Sometimes she spends that downstairs helping me. Other times she spends that time in her room doing "her own thing." That's really up to her. She can use our work-out facility on Base which she does or go to Starbucks or do whatever she likes to do. In the evening, she is welcome to join us for dinner, which she often does, but if she doesn't like what we are eating, she can always just make something different for herself.

I think this last week has brought a little "cabin fever" on all of us as it has rained most of the week. It was a s-l-o-w week.

I am sure there are times Veronica will be bored, miss home, or be sick of the kiddos everywhere. :) Similar to how I feel. But while we were at the Mall, we were talking about this adventure for her. How many 18-year-olds gets to have an experience like this? Even if all she does is go to Turkey and Germany with me, she has still gone to more places than most Americans will ever go. (And we definitely plan to do more than this.) She got to experience walking around a mall where everyone speaks a language different from the one she does. It's a whole new world over here.

Anyways, our new addition in our home is wonderful. She is outgoing, participates in conversation, gives her opinion, and isn't afraid to be honest. The boys love her. Scrubs love her. I love her. Not sure we could get much more blessed than we have. What an amazing God I serve. I see Him in the little thing He does -- like bringing Veronica to me at this exact time that I feel the need for her so much. Thank you Lord!


No comments: