Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Tara made it!

She's here folks! Yippeee!

What's even better is they routed her to Fort Walton Beach instead (the difference between a ten minute drive and an hour drive.) Unfortunately, they did not route her luggage so we still aren't sure how that's going to work out. Hopefully, somehow, she'll get her bags today.

As I scoured my drawers for clothes that would semi-fit Tara, there were Nigeria flashbacks all over again. Only then, there were four of us missing luggage. Only Ajit's toiletry bag made it (with one bar of soap, one pack of razor blades, and one thing of Head and Shoulders.) And I was the only girl who had clothes that made it. Now, I have a washer that she can use to wash what she does have instead of trying to wash and dry the one outfit she had by hand. Now I have a whole closet to scour instead of being forced to give her a pair of JB's boxer shorts and the smallest shirt I brought which was still way too big on her!

It is great to see Tara and so wonderful when friends as close as family come into town. I didn't bother to make the bed or run the vacuum. It's Tara! She's seen us at our worst, for six weeks, in Africa. She's also a dog person, which is good. Scrubs has been going crazy when new people come into the house. He can barely contain himself. It takes him about ten minutes before he is a normal dog again. Anyways, it will be wonderful to have Tara here and catch up on her life. Last night consisted of her and JB swapping a lot of stories. I can follow about half of them. The acronyms often mess me up. But it's fun to hear them talk.

* * *

In other news, please pray for us and for peace and patience with our China adoption. We got word yesterday that the wait time is now up to 27 months. In addition, they are estimating that the wait time will increase from 6 months to 1 year for every year you are on the list. In other words, this could make our wait be as long as four years. And we aren't even on the waiting list yet. We still have to get all of our stuff back from immigration and send in our Dossier before that happens. I was hoping to have that done by February but it is looking like a new goal of March might even be a bit lofty.

We are okay with waiting as we will have our little XY here. I can't imagine the frustration of all these delays if it weren't for his presence and the dream of his presence. But there are some other complications to the wait that we aren't sure how to deal with.

These include the fact that we still want to go back for our embryos. We are okay waiting on this, but neither of us are sure we want to wait seven years (the years for her to get her and then a bit of time after she gets here.) There is a chance, with the new rules about concurrent adoptions, that we could try while we are waiting as baby XY gets a bit older. As, we all know, there are no guarantees that going back means it will work, but we would still need to confirm with our agency that a pregnancy wouldn't cause us to be bumped on the list. But it's complicated. And expensive. Quitting my job at Mayo means I will lose my 50% discount for subsequent IVF's. Each cycle costs about $2000 with the discount. (That means about $4000 without.) We will have to go back at least two more times. Possibly three. We are also paying a monthly storage fee while we wait.

We also may be overseas after residency, and we have to continue to update our home study and some other paperwork for every year we wait which will cost a bit of money. We aren't even sure this can be done from overseas.

This may sound like I am really stressed or really worried about the money. I really am not. I really do feel peace about this. I know the Lord is in charge, and I know he has our daughter picked out already! I just want that peace to continue and for us to continue to trust him during this difficult wait time.

6 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

1. if i ever fly with tara, i am ONLY bringing carry-on luggage!
2. please get some sun for me...the weather is going to turn nasty up here again this weekend.
3. i, too, am glad that may-baby will be here while you wait for your daughter. seems like the Lord had a plan for this...bringing your son to keep you company as he knew the wait would be longer.
4. I MISS YOU GUYS!

Iturblog said...

Hey Wendi,

No, we we won't be at care group tonight. I just emailed Lisa to let her know (had written out an email before we left to send everyone in CG, but it didn't get sent!). Hope you enjoy fellowship tonight! I will be praying for you and JB through the adoptions and IVF, that must be difficult for you guys! :( Thank you for trusting in God through all this! He is in control and He is good! :)

~Megan~

Anonymous said...

Wen and Tara -it's snowing here in Chicago -they've talked about 10 inches!!!!! Wouldn't you rather play in the snow than the sun...okay i admit i had to get an unopened crocus and watch it slowly open to its beautiful purple to remind myself, even with the white beauty out there that Spring is coming!
Have fun you three!
Tante Jan

AW said...

Wendi, I just want you to know how much of an encouragement your attitude is about this whole thing. I'm glad May Baby is padding the frustration...as I'm sure the idea of the rest of your family's arrival is weighing heavily on your hearts. I'll be praying for direction and guidance as you contemplate. I say all this because Neil and I are unsure what God has in store for us with a #2. IF there is a #2. Do we pick up the adoption process again? Back to fertility treatments? Is Jon it? Even if he is, I am thrilled, but I can't help but wonder. All of that babble to say that it's almost easier for me to be at peace about it when I know you are going through the a similar "not-knowing".

Thank you for that!

Anonymous said...

Stepping out in faith means only being able to see just the little bit of road ahead of you at a time.
God will guide you thru and He will bless you every step of the way. God knows the whole picture of our lives while we only see a very small portion. Maybe when you go overseas, God will lead you to your beautiful daughter.

Anonymous said...

I MISS YOU GUYS! I wish we could be there to visit with you guys and Tara too - what FUN! And I bet you're having beautiful weather. It's not too bad here right now, but it's nothing like Florida weather. :) I was just missing watching "24" and "American Idol" with you guys...Tara drinking hot water while we lounge around on your comfy brown couch in sweats eating leftovers. *sigh* Have a wonderful, wonderful time!! :)