Friday, May 05, 2006

Friday's Fast Facts

Update #2: Well, I got a call from the nurse. My estrodial was at 518 -- a lot higher but still a bit from 3,000. She said it could easily double in 24 hours however. I am taking 225 units of gonal tonite and another shot of lupron in the morning and then I have a blood draw and ultrasound at 8 a.m. tomorrow. I'll let you know something more tomorrow when I know something more! We are progressing nicely.

* * * * * * *

Update: Well I had my ultrasound at 8:10 and the news couldn't have been better! We had approximately 32 follicles of size 14 or larger (size 18-20 is considered "mature"). In addition we had approximately 20 follicles that were not measured but were 10 or less. (And remember -- we only plan to have them fertilize 14 so this is PLENTY!!!!) This is exactly what the doctor projected should happen -- the tons of follicles that worked against me with the IUI (because of the high risk of multiples) are now our friends! For the first time, as JB feverishly tried to write down all the follicle sizes, I wasn't crying knowing that this meant a cancelled cycle. This is what they WANTED. It was a great relief. I am waiting for my 3:30 call which will tell me what my blood estrodial was. I found out they want it to be about 3,000. I was 165 the other day but given how the follicles are doing, I am sure it will be pretty high. She'll then tell me what the weekend schedule is. But, we are very happy!!!!

* * * * * * *

Well I hope you all enjoyed Josh's post yesterday. If you have a free second, leave a comment for him. It will make him feel important. And that means a lot to Josh.

Just kidding Josh -- don't get all in a tizzy.


Josh and Sarah are two of our dearest friends. Josh is basically just like the language of his post most of the time. One time he did have a serious conversation with me, but then he told me he was just joking so that was the end of that.

Maybe Josh will pop back in sometime. Let me know, Josh, if you have anything more important than that post to share. Although with as deep as that post was, I find it highly unlikely your brain will be able to surpass that greatness.


JUST KIDDING!!!!!

As for me, I have come to realize that I am going through menopause! Don't laugh. It's true ... in a sense. When JB talked to the doctor he worked with the other day about me doing IVF, the one who had a daughter from IVF, he asked JB how I was handling going through menopause.

Lupron actually causes my body to decrease estrogen production! This is the same thing that happens to women going through menopause. It explains a lot of things including the fact that despite going off the birth control pill, I am still having the migraines.

However, I have decided to list all of the good things going on right now as there are many:


  • I am not really going through menopause! I will be un-menopaused very soon.
  • I probably have less than five shots left in my stomach.
  • I probably have less than fives left in my thighs.
  • Both of my jobs are really working with my schedule and helping to relieve extra stress.
  • I have PLENTY of Tylenol with codeine now ... 120 pills. I am able to take the pills now all day .(I took about 10 today) without thinking twice about it and worrying that I will run out.
  • We will most likely be doing the transfer in LESS than a week!
  • I am married to the best husband in the world.
  • My hormones have been fairly in check during this IVF cycle -- probably more than my 7 previous IUI/Clomid cycles.

I also want to ask for prayer that:

  • I am able to sleep well the next few nights. My mind is spinning like crazy!
  • they are able to pull out at least fourteen eggs or more.
  • we end up with between 6 and 8 frozen embryos (or more). This would mean that after our first attempt with 2 embryos, we would have enough for 3-4 more tries without having to go back for more eggs (the hard part -- what I am doing now).
  • I come out of the surgery and anesthesia feeling great.
  • the Lord would guide the doctor's hands and eyes.
  • JB's does great on his psychiatry test today.
  • the transfer goes well -- the easier they get the instruments in and the less they touch my uterus, the better it is.

Today:

  • I go in for a blood draw at 7:00 a.m.
  • I go in for an ultrasound at 8:10 a.m. (JB is able to go with me!)
  • we will meet with the nurse after my ultrasound to ask questions and discuss how my follicles are doing.
  • JB has his final psychiatry test at 10:00 a.m.
  • when the doctor gets our blood results in, he will look at the blood results and the ultrasound results and decide what we should do next.
  • we will be getting a call around 3:00 telling us what our estrodial results were and what our schedule is for the next 24-36 hours.
  • I will post after 3:00 when we know what is happening next.
  • From 4:30-6:00 we are having a "release" party for the next issue of Rochester Women. At this point, I can tell you what my "awesome" story was about that I was so "pumped" about! We plan to only stay for a bit given how I am feeling.

Check back later this evening for an update of what the weekend holds.

No comments: