Wednesday, January 30, 2019

We Bought a Farm: What Cold Means to a Farmer


If there is one thing I dread most on our farm it is the days it goes below freezing and does not come up. Because this doesn't happen that often (5-10 days a year) we have chosen not to invest in the infrastructure to water our animals in this cold. Instead, we just bucket water to them and "get through it."

Today made me soooooo glad we no longer have pigs. Praise the Lord the piggies are gone. They were the worst of the water problem so to not have to bucket to them made things was easier. The chickens and ducks are pretty close to home right now, but, unfortunately, our sheep are about the farthest they can get from the house and our darned four-wheeler wouldn't run. (It goes in and out working frequently.) 

Here are some pictures from what 20 degrees means here in Tennessee: 

This duck egg was already quite frozen by the time we retrieved it this morning!
Check this out! Frozen duck egg.
Icicles
Snow pants for the kiddos and the doggies inside around these parts!
Ritter helping fill water buckets. :)
Icicles!
I thought I would share a "Wee-wind Wednesday" today and flashback to when I lived in Minnesota and I met a -29 degree day. You can read that post here. 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I loved reading your article on KevinMD. My husband and son are doctors and I’m a retired nurse. Yes to everything you wrote about their educations and all that we encounter in the ER. Please know that someone listens, when they come home and NEVER repeats a word!! My horse has listened and never repeats anything I share over the past 18 years💜

Addeline Sam said...

I would like to share my personal experience in this field. Some time ago I was ready to give everything for the opportunity to become a mother. Biologically I am now my baby mother. I have no eggs and due to cancer and I lost my uterus. I had no variants. Since I am from Hungary surrogacy is illegal here. We started looking for variants abroad, here a cost varies greatly. After reviewing a large number of clinics, we contacted native iyabasira native clinic They offered an ‘all inclusive’ package that we were very happy with, as we were only focused on winning. And it is much cheaper than somewhere else and we were surprised with conditions and attitude to us. After 1.5 years we became parents. And it is pricelessly. this is mother iya herbs works, email info (nativeiyabasira@yahoo.com) In such cases her herbs is a real solution to become a happy mum.