Tuesday, January 22, 2019

We Bought a Farm: Movin' Wood

 "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." Abraham Lincoln 

The power company took down a bunch of big trees over by Grampa and Grama's church -- which is right down the road from our farm. Around these parts, they leave the tree there knowing that folks will want to either use or sell the wood.

Our friend Lloyd offered our farm the wood. Lloyd has been sawing it down, and we've been loading it up. We need very non-muddy frozen days to get our truck down into the area where the trees are. And this morning was one of those mornings.

Grampa, Lloyd, and our friend Jacob loaded the big pieces on the back of Lloyd's trailer:




I was in charge of loading these little pieces up in the back of the truck. Dad said this was because I was a girl. (Wink!)



Here's dad's truck loaded with all the wood I have loaded up ready to drive back to the farm: 


I love these opportunities to get exercise doing "real" stuff. It's one of my favorite things about being a farmer: 

1 comment:

Aunt Betsy said...

I saw that wood! Just waiting for a good, hardworking "Girl" like you!
It will be nice in the stove.
OX