Wednesday, October 17, 2018

We Bought a Farm: Sweet Potato Poetry

Below I share a video of three minutes of our lives. It was taken with nine children and three adults as we harvested sweet potatoes.

As I watched it back, I realized that it so perfectly illustrates what my life is like. It is ...

exhausting
exhilarating
LOUD!
busy
unorganized
crazy
all-consuming

But in the same breath I find myself seeing that it is also ...

beautiful
idyllic
happy
peaceful
picturesque

This is us harvesting sweet potatoes at the end of our TF Homeschooling day. I mumble at the end when I think the camera is off, "You can't get this anywhere else but here," because I truly mean it. Oh to live on a farm and get to experience harvesting sweet potatoes.

And yet, Oh to live on a farm and feel the day-to-day grind of what that life requires.

It is a life that brings a breath that says, "This is the hardest thing I have ever done and I am so tired and I just want to move to the suburbs and put all this crazy behind me," followed by another breath that says, "Look at those potatoes and this opportunity and holy cow is that moon beautiful and did you ever know you could see so many stars by just stepping out onto your back porch?"

I hope you enjoy a three minute look into our mind. And you MUST watch it with the volume up because goodness knows, it's always up in our house:

No comments: