Wednesday, May 10, 2017

We Bought a Farm: My Night of Adventure


The picture above is just the tip of the iceberg.

I volunteered to put the chickens to bed right before our vacation. (I just didn't have a chance to Blog about it before we left.)

You have to do this right at dusk so that the chickens have returned to the Egg-Mobile to go to sleep for the night. You can do it when it is really dark, but it is better at dusk so that you aren't walking in the black of night.

It was still fairly light, so I didn't have my flashlight on. Big mistake. I stepped in a pile of barbed wire that a WWOOFer had recently cleaned up but that we hadn't yet put away. It really snagged up my leg as you can see from the picture above. I was also wearing a long skirt, and it got majorly stuck as well.

Okay, so that over, I turned on my flashlight so as to make sure I could see where I was going. As I closed up the Egg-Mobile, I hit my head on the corner of the Egg-Mobile. I've done this before. So have most people over six-foot-tall around these parts.

But that didn't make it hurt any less.

It was too dark to know that my head was bleeding at that point (it was!)

As I turned from the clunk on the head, I tripped on some green fencing which we had taken down from around the Egg-Mobile and totally skinned up my knee.

Folks, you really can't make this stuff up. In less than four minutes, I was bleeding in three separate places, and if I'm being honest, I think I was crying just slightly mostly from my pride being smashed.

Some farmer I am!

No comments: