Friday, December 24, 2010

Will you do me a favor ...

... and pray for those people celebrating Christ's birth today far away from home.

I am homesick.

And I know I am not alone.

Unlike many of the servicemen deployed on this day, I am "deployed" with my family. They often call it that in Turkey. "Deployed in place." It's why JB does not deploy while we are here. They consider it enough of a sacrifice to serve where we are serving. (That being said, there are a few servicemen that deploy from Turkey! How agonizing that would be for them and their families.)

But many people don't get that option.

And while I am homesick with my husband and two little boys, I can only imagine the mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers and children and grandchildren who are homesick with no one they love close by. Sure we have our surrogate family. Our support system. But it just isn't the same.

It's funny. I'm not sure what I miss exactly. A country that celebrates the holiday maybe? My family maybe -- even though sometimes I celebrate without them. The comforts and familiarities of home? I just miss "home" even though I am not exactly sure where that is for me right now.

And I know I am not alone.

Merry Christmas to everyone we love today. Please remember us in your prayers today. Please ask the Lord to give us an extra "oomph" as we miss home and loved ones and the home we are familiar with.

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." ~ Joshua 1:9

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Merry Christmas Wendy, John, Isaac and Elijah. Please know that you have just been prayed for! May God wrap you in His arms of love today! May His favor rest upon you!

David and Lesley said...

Merry Christmas Wendi, JB and boys! David and I were just thinking of you and reminiscing about our days being neighbors at the Towers. We're so thankful for the blessing of your friendship. Love you guys! :)

Dana said...

I'm sorry you guys are feeling homesick on Christmas. It must be so foreign (no pun intended) to be so far away from everything you know at the holidays. I spent my entire childhood (from birth until I went away to college) as a Navy "brat". We were never stationed out of the US but my dad was away on the USS Duncan for 2 of the four Christmases he was stationed there. The other two he had duty on the ship so we were able to be with him for some of the day. I remember my first Christmas with my husband where I didn't go home to see my parents. I couldn't put into words what I was homesick for because Bryan was my home...but I was melancholy all the same. I will keep you and your amazing family in my thoughts and hope knowing strangers (party of the U.S. military family) are thinking of you and wishing you all the joys of the season will make your load just a little bit lighter.