Saturday, February 04, 2006

Remembering why I hate Minnesota

Hate is a strong word.

But when we woke up this morning and got ready to leave for the 8:30-10:00 aerobics class I take on Saturday, we looked out the window, and we remembered why Minnesota, from September until April (and sometimes May), is not a fun place to live. We remembered why we sometimes use the word "hate" when talking about Minnesota.

Without even walking outside, you could see how cold it was. You could just sense it in your bones. I pulled up the weatherchannel.com website and sure enough -- "feels like -7". A high today of 17. I looked at the rest of the week. One day it will have a high of 23. The rest is too pitiful to speak of.

I am afraid we were totally thrown for a loop during this past January. As I mentioned earlier, I heard that it was the warmest January in the last 150 years! Honestly, this last month, I started saying to myself things that were not healthy. I started saying things like, "Why do you complain so much?" "This isn't that bad." "Minnesota isn't as cold as you remember." I even said, "Wendi, you are getting used to the weather here."

Lies! They were all lies! I HATE the weather in Minnesota. I don't, actually, hate Minnesota itself. I hate when the weather has a negative in front of it. It becomes so cold, you seriously can't even breathe!

Yesterday, it wasn't quite as bad. It was in the 20's. But our dishwasher guy came to fix Maytag and my boss was in a frantic mood so I simply RAN the two blocks OUTSIDE back to my house to let the dishwasher guy in before my boss could realize I was gone. My glasses were permanently fogged, my hair was soaked, and my chest literally burned for hours. And, after all that, the dishwasher STILL ISN'T FIXED. (I'll save that for another blog!)

Honestly, to the Wilsons who visited in an unusually warm December and to our "first-Minnesota-winter-friends", you have been deceived. Today is the actuality. I hate to say it out loud but it is true.

It is VERY cold.

P.S. I have done very well not complaining about the weather for the last month or so. I am fearful my streak is coming to an end. Did I tell you how cold it was?!!?

No comments: