Saturday, February 25, 2006

New procedure to fight heart disease

I work for a cardiovascular researcher at Mayo Clinic, Dr. K. Dr. K is a great guy, and we have a great working relationship. One of my main responsibilities for Dr. K is manuscript preparation. When he decides to submit his research in paper format to a journal, I work on all the requirements for that particular journal, format all the references, and edit and grammar check the piece over and over again. I also create some of the charts and graphs myself or work with Mayo's Visual Department to complete these. I do a lot of other work for him as well, but this is one of my major jobs.

To summarize Dr. K's research ... many people have heart attacks that are expected -- they are overweight, sedentary, diabetic etc. However, a large number of people have heart attacks who do not fit the mold -- they are thin, in shape, and take great care of themself. Dr. K is trying to figure out what these other high-risk categories are.

I really enjoy the work and have contemplated moving into it full-time instead of part-time, but sometimes I have struggled with feeling like I am really making a difference. When I was teaching, I truly felt internally motivated. However, this job, while very enjoyable and demanding, was often just a job for me.

That changed a little this week. Dr. K's last submission has finally gone to press. He was on the news last night, and all of a sudden I realized that this is important work, and I am getting to be involved with it. Here is a quick synopsis of the article from KTTC's website:

A noninvasive test that uses a pencil like device may help prevent a sudden heart attack. The ten-minute or so test is called aortic pulse wave velocity.

Doctors explain it measures how stiff a patient's aorta is by how fast a pulse wave travels to it. It's done by placing the pencil like device, called a tenometer on arteries in the neck and groin. Doctors say knowing the stiffness helps them determine treatment for patients who are in between high and low risk of heart disease.

That's about 40-percent of the population.

This test is in its final phases of a five year study other studies are showing promising results as well.

Dr. Iftikhar Kullo, Lead Author of Study says "We are trying to assess the arteries in a more elaborate fashion in several different tests and hopefully we think that will be part of a routine clinical assessment in the near future."

The findings of this study up to date have been published in a journal of the American Heart Association called Hypertension.

Anyways, this has been exciting for me. John and I often joke about this because Dr. Kullo has been acknowledging me in his papers which means I actually got to see my name in a scientific journal before JB! I finally feel like what I am doing has some value outside of just paying the bills, and I've realized that is pretty important for me.

I know most of you know what jobs I hQave, but I very rarely talk about what I actually do there. So, now you know.

P.S. My cousin Josh has come into town for a visit and some concerts. I will update you on this sometime this weekend.

No comments: