Tuesday, October 06, 2020

We Bought a Farm: Homeschooling in God's Beauty

There are days when I think, I can't imagine doing my life any other way than this one right here. Right now. The way we are doing it.

Today was one of those days.

I snapped this picture of Ana and Kari right after we finished our history lesson. The other kiddos had run to the garden to harvest sweet potatoes. 


We did the whole lesson outside. We found a spot where people could pick shade or sun. It was a lovely 71 degrees. We zoomed in with our fellow classmate, Katy, and simply enjoyed being outside with our dogs and the beauty of our farm. 

(I did, however, not agree to withhold homework simply because it was a "beautiful day.")

Then it was on to sweet potatoes:


Here are a couple of of videos of us harvesting sweet potatoes today:



I think often, I can't believe this is my life. It's such a hard life sometime and so jam-packed. But when you put your hands in the dirt and pull out FOOD there is something completely magical about it. I know that may sound a bit green/tree-huggerish but it's the truth. To grow your own food that you'll cook yourself and eat yourself and know that it's healthy is simply an amazing gift.

And to dig it out yourself and watch your kids dig them out and get their hands dirty? 

I have no doubt this is exactly where I belong right now. The world may be falling apart, but by gosh, we have sweet potatoes.

And that means something.

No comments: