Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Car Accident

Updated: Well, we ended up getting an exact replacement of our previous vehicle. It actually is a year newer (2020 instead of 2019) and has almost the exact number of miles. The only change is we don't have a sun roof anymore (which we loved.) However, we have all voted that this car looks "cooler" than the previous one. We are still looking for a name. Because it isn't a truck or a car, we always need to call it something when we are discussing which vehicle we are taking somewhere. 

We discussed downgrading to a cheaper vehicle (like a van). However, a van doesn't tow. A van isn't usually 4-wheel drive. And to be honest, a van cannot fit six six-footers which we think our family may be. We want this to get us through childhood. 

SO ... here's a picture of the newest member of the Bauernhof team ...









This morning, I dropped my three oldest kids at the Kotysnki's house, and I picked up little Genevieve and Eoin. They climbed into the middle row seats. (Hannah had stayed home with her Daddy.) We made a quick stop at Yoder's to pick up some bread (and some sour food for our school lesson today) and then headed home.

About halfway through our 7 minute trip from Yoder's to our house, I saw a big white truck about to back out of a driveway. So many of these country roads are blocked by bushes and hills. It really is precarious getting out of driveways in these rural parts. I slowed down to make sure he could see me. Apparently he did see me, but then made the mistake in thinking I had already gone by. He floored it and backed up and backed right up into my vehicle. I hit the breaks, but with a hill on one side, there was no way I could do anything but take the hit. 

The airbags deployed and suddenly the guy driving the vehicle was running around checking on all of us. I was a little out of it for a few minutes and just asked that he get the kiddos out of the vehicle while I figured out how to climb under the side-deployed airbags. 

Everyone was okay, PRAISE THE LORD. I banged up my shoulder a bit, but the kids were totally fine. The guy who hit us was super nice, felt super bad, took full responsibility, and when the adrenaline wore off, sort of collapsed on the side of the road aware that he could have really hurt children. I am most happy that Eoin "Owen" was sitting behind the passenger side was okay.

I've never been in a vehicle that had air bags deploy. Quite a surreal, intense, adrenaline-ridden experience. My phone automatically called 911 which was crazy! John and Jacob were there in a few minutes. A wrecker service saw what happened from his house and drove over, and the police were there in just a few minutes.

I imagine the vehicle will be totaled. Such is life. I kept telling the guy who hit us: at least no one was hurt! Things can be replaced praise God.

1 comment:

Babit said...

Great Article… I love to read your articles because your writing style is too good
Auto Accident Claims