Sunday, June 07, 2020

Abigail and her birds



Our Abigail loves ballet. But in the last few months, she has fallen in love with birding and photography. I am not just talking about a slight interest. If I let her, she will take the camera and be outside for hours. Many, many hours. 

I have tried to get into birds. I just don't have the love. But I love seeing my kiddos passionate about something -- especially something that takes her outside into nature. And something she can do with her Daddy too. Another plus!

Yesterday we went to visit my friend Mary Kay and her family. Abigail was so excited to bring her camera and check out the birds.

When we got in the car to leave, she told me that she had seen a bird she could not identify. We talked about it for nearly every minute of our forty-minute drive home. She was obsessed with this bird and figuring out what it was.

She and her Daddy had a long talk about the bird when they got home. In the end, JB couldn't identify it either so he turned to his TN birding page.


Need some ID help for my 8 year old daughter.

Seen today on a farm near the southern part of Greene County, East Tennessee. Lots of woods nearby. Ponds for sure. Some streams nearby, but not right near the river. 

She’s actually decent with photography, but this was just a flyby, and she couldn’t get a photo. 

This is her drawing and description:

“About the size of a Red-bellied Woodpecker... bigger than a Tree Swallow. Way bigger than any sparrow, but not quite as big as a Crow.


I think it looked really pretty... one of the prettiest birds I’ve seen around here. But it didn’t seem to look as bright as the pictures of a Red-Headed Woodpecker. Maybe it was a Green Heron flying funny?”



Thirty comments later, the consensus was:

John KitsteinerI think we are down to a Red-Headed Woodpecker or a female Common Merganser.

Doubt we will know for certain. I told her that’s part of it. You don’t need to make a positive ID every time. 


She said that’s okay... you just need to go with me next time! 

đŸ™‚

Female common Merganser

Male juvenile red-headed woodpecker

No comments: