Monday, June 15, 2020

Dear Scrubby,


"Written by Hannah" in March of 2016

Dear Scrubby,

Someday you won't be here anymore. And I may not even remember you because I'll be so little when you cross that Rainbow Bridge. The vet told us this week that you are very, very sick. Your liver is sick. And you are going to die soon. And my Mommy is really sad.

But I want to say thank you. Thank you for getting my Daddy and Mommy through ten years of infertility. You stood by them when they got lots of sad news. They thought you were going to be their only kid. 

And you were happy about that. 

Until you met my big brother Isaac who Daddy and Mommy adopted. And you realized that these little people meant a lot of little snacks for you.

And while not incredibly excited when they got miraculously pregnant with Sidge and Abigail, I know you remembered the reason to be happy after they were born: food below the high chairs and bottles you could eat the nipples off of and drink the milk.

Mommy tells me that you let her cry on you nearly everyday while she was pregnant with me. She was really sick. And really depressed. And you pushed her through. And then I was born. And because you were so good to my Mommy, I gave you more snacks then all the other kids combined. Especially green beans. 

Thank you for eating all my green beans.

I know you won't be here forever Scrubs, but right now, sitting in the driveway, giving you a hug, I know you'll be with us forever.

My heart won't ever forget you. 

You always be the "best dog ever."

Love,

Hannah Joy Pomegranate Kitsteiner

1 comment:

Susan said...

Scrubby stories will always be my favorite. Hannah's letter brought tears to my eyes.