Monday, February 03, 2020

A Seamstress Ballerina Mama



My friend Kymberly is the mother of two girls. Her two daughters attend homeschooling co-op with us and are involved with Central Ballet as well. Once upon a time, long before I met her, she was a ballerina. However, an ataxia has stolen her ability to move like she once did. While she can walk, it is not without a struggle. She uses a walker and often depends on her husband and children to help her do things. 

Kymberly is the major seamstress for the ballet. She is constantly fixing and repairing costumes. Despite the fact that she has to go down the steps of our studio on her backside because of this condition that affects her nerves, I never hear her complain. 

Recently, Kymberly gave her oldest daughter, Ky-le, a picture. She wanted Ky-le to re-draw it for her. However, Ky-le explained that she was hesitant to draw it for the following two reasons: 

  • my mom doesn’t just sit around she’s always engaged somehow 
  • I wanted the drawing to be my own, not just a copy of someone else’s 
Kyle writes that the picture, "made me realize even though my mom may not be a dancer on stage, she is still a big part of the dance life behind the scenes. That gave me the inspiration to draw the picture below for her. The work she does behind the scenes allows me and my sister to dance as much as we do! We wouldn’t be a part of the dance world if it wasn’t for her so I drew this simple drawing with a big dedication and meaning for my mom!"

I asked Ky-le for permission to repost this. I absolutely loved this artwork and the meaning behind it. I actually think, Kymberly's condition aside, there is many a parent "in the wings" that can relate to this drawing.

Well done Ky-Le!!




No comments: