Wednesday, February 13, 2019

The Fashion Designer Lives On


This kid! I just never feel like this Blog does who she is justice. My cousin's family passed down a few items of clothing. This is always a big deal to Hannah. It's like Christmas. Only better. 

One of these items was a Christmas pajama dress? That's what I think it is. I'm honestly not sure. 

First, Hannah asked if her Daddy could cut holes in the sleeves since they were a little long so she could wear them like gloves.

He obliged.

But then she decided that instead of it being "long" she wanted it to be short like a shirt.

I told her that you can't just go around cutting dresses to make shirts. (Even my non-sewing self knows this won't work.) Thinking I would dissuade her from the idea I said: "If you wanted to do that, we'd have to take it to Ms. Faye, and pay her to make you a shirt."

"How much would it cost?" Hannah asked.

"At least five dollars," I said, knowing that Ms. Faye always undercharges us for her amazing seamstress work. 

"Okay," Hannah said. "I got five dollars from the tooth fairy!" 

(The tooth fairy always give a $5 bill for the very first tooth a kid loses. After that it drops to $1. Unless you have to get a tooth pulled. Then she leaves $2. Although, none of my kids believe in the tooth fairy anyways.)

"You want to use all your tooth fairy money to get this dress made into a shirt? Instead of a toy?" I'm not sure if that's a good idea. We will have to talk to Daddy."

She did. She ran out of the room to find him and tell him her plan. I couldn't believe she really wanted to spend money to see one of her "fashion visions" come true.

I'm more convinced than ever that one of the greatest gifts I can give this child ...

is a sewing machine.

(And good lessons. From someone that is not me.)
 
 

No comments: