Thursday, September 27, 2018

The Glorious Table: How Can You Be Present Today?

I wrote a piece for THE GLORIOUS TABLE about my connection to John & Toni Kenney and their granddaughter and an adorable puppy that tied us all together. I invite you to read it and share it with others. May will all be present for others. 

 

He was here with his wife and granddaughter, visiting the Australian Shepherd puppy they were buying from our farm. One minute he was sitting on a planter in front of my house, and the next he was face-first in the grass.

One minute we were talking about puppies, and the next we were talking about life and death.
The only other adult at home, my father-in-law, joined me next to this near-stranger. He was complaining of pain in his neck, and he begged us to help him sit up. Then, in the middle of our helping him into a chair, he stopped breathing.

I was holding this sixty-nine-year-old man in my arms, calling his name, tapping his cheek, asking him to squeeze my hand, begging him to stay with me. His wife was pacing, making phone calls, answering questions, praying. All the while their granddaughter and my kiddos were playing with puppies as if nothing had changed.

In a moment, every plan I had for that day disappeared. Every plan he and his wife had for their life together disappeared as well. Everything hinged on the moments that followed—as ambulances drove up to our house, as a helicopter was called in, and as he was taken to a hospital.

To read the rest of this story, visit The Glorious Table.

No comments: