Monday, November 25, 2019

When the meal is an experience



A few weeks back I went to lunch with my friend Shea at a restaurant called 5 Broke Girls Cafe in Horse Cave, Kentucky. It's what you would called a "hole in the wall". The food was simply amazing! I especially, however, loved the sign that greeted me as I walked in:

"Your meals are made fresh per order. Sit back & relax & just breathe."

My cell phone didn't get service inside, and I ate what I believe to be the best patty melt burger I have ever eaten. 

We don't eat out much in America, but when I do, I am always surprised how apologetic the servers are when they take longer than they should. When we lived in Europe, the meal was an event. It was designed to take a long time. If you wanted fast food, you would go and eat fast food. (Although in Europe, the restaurants were few and far between.)

We recently went to a local Thai restaurant. The owner told me it was the busiest Saturday they had ever had. They had tried to call people to come in but couldn't find anyone. She kept apologizing for how long it took. I told her how happy it was they were busy and how nice it was to just sit and talk

A reminder to relax. Sit down. Be. Enjoy. Breathe. Eat local. And enjoy the slow life.

 

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Our favorite restaurant in Rochester is Dos Amigos. On most days our order is ready before we can even finish the chips and salsa they give us. On the rare occasions they are busy and we wait a little longer for our food, I'm content to sit and finish off our chips and get another basket full. We've had friends complain that the service there is so slow. I'm always shocked when people say that about Dos. Even the "slow" service is really fast. Maybe it's because I love that place so much that I am willing to wait an hour for my food (it really is that good). When we do have to wait, I love the conversations that my family has.