Tuesday, October 08, 2019

I promised myself I would NEVER do this ...

It's Fall Break here in East Tennessee -- which means ballet classes are a bit more empty than usual. 

Tonight, the ballet class that Abigail and her cousin Ana takes only had ten girls. Because there was more room, Lori Ann decided to do floor barre with the girls instead of their normal barre time. 

They got in three lines and there was a whole bunch of room in the back of the studio. So she looks over at Erin and Jessica and I -- ballet moms who enjoy chillin' together and just watching our girls dance sitting over in the cheering section -- and asked us if we wanted to jump in.

I have always said I would NEVER do anything resembling ballet. I mean, a girl has to have standards you know? But this was really just a gigantic stretching hour so I decided I could slide into the back row and participate. Jessica and Erin begrudgingly went with me. 

Here was Abigail's face when she saw what I was doing. (I'm thinking she wasn't thrilled with the idea?!)


And here's a picture of me wondering what the heck I am doing:


Erin snapped a picture of me doing what was supposed to be a big ol' center split. (Yeah ... right!)


While I am trying to do a split, here's my view of girls actually doing them:



And I snapped a picture back of Erin doing this move:


I didn't get a picture of Jessica, which was a shame because she was actually pretty good (especially considering she was doing it in her work clothes!)

I did, however, notice how nice of a ceiling they have at the studio while my athletic socks were sort-of-pointing towards it:


Abigail made the following notes following my first attempt at ballet"

  • "Ms. Jessica was pretty good. You, mom, were not."
  • I asked her if she was embarrassed of me and she said, "I was a little, yes."
  • She did say to me: "Could you show me how to do sit-ups sometime Mama? That was the one move you did that you knew how to do better than me." YAY -- this jock still has something left in her.
  • When discussing in the car on the way home whether Karate was harder than Ballet, Abigail said: "Mommy can't really judge since she did ballet tonight but didn't do it very well."
So there you have it. I don't mind doing me some stretching but you won't see this 6'3" girl up on her toes anytime soon,



1 comment:

Jennifer said...

The comments from Abigail are hilarious! Kids have no problem saying what's really on their mind :)