Sunday, December 05, 2021

The last Harry Potter movie

A flashback to Sidge's 2018 Halloween costume.

We are enjoying December as a family. We are enjoying John's job not kicking his butt. While COVID has reared its head a bit more in the ER, and the flu is now a bit more prevalent, John is home. Our stress is down. And we can just be a family when we are on family time.

John read and watched all the Harry Potter movies with the boys when they were younger. (He read some of the books with them, and they read some of them on their own.) 

Somewhere in the middle of the boys Harry Potter adventures, I decided to read the books. I had started them decades ago (seriously! Maybe sometime in the early 2000's.) But for some reason, I just didn't get that into them. Sidge asked me to try again. And I did. I started reading and was completely and utterly hooked. J.K. Rowling is seriously a brilliant writer. I was flabbergasted time and time again as I read at her talent. This isn't a fad. It's simply ... amazing. (I wrote a previous post about this topic HERE.)

Earlier this year John started reading the books to the girls (with the boys along for the ride again.) John is devoted to pre-bed reading. He tries to do it nearly every single night. He usually does a devotional of some sort with the kids, some sort of apologetics, and also a novel of choice. 

I don't participate in their family reading. This is my "adult time." John reads and does bedtime (unless he's on nights) while I do my own thing. I love this as a mom since, as most moms know, bedtime is the time that we are just plumb tired from doing the mom thing all day.

For as long as I can remember, it's been Harry Potter that they have been reading through. A few days ago, they finally finished book 7. I had been waiting for the girls to finish them so I could watch the movies with them. Each time they finished one of the books, they watched the movie in celebration and then went on to the next book.

Tonight we finished movie 7 and then watch the entire 8th movie. It's hard to believe that we've been parents long enough to go through this with the kids two times. And to be honest, I have a feeling it won't be the last. This is such a fun adventure for our family. Aren't books so magical?


No comments: