Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Guest Post: Big Red House

By: Kristin Girton (Ballet and homeschooling friend of Wendi) and local actress/photographer/personal trainer extraordinaire. 

This post from last year popped up on my time=hop today. It read “stealing away precious moments with my family lately. Life is so busy right now but these little moments together are priceless.”

I was in one of the busiest seasons of my life last year. We were in the process of boxing up our Walnut Grove home ... where we had brought home our babies and we had loved our neighbors so fiercely.

We had just wrapped up the ballet Ruth and a theater production of Little Shop of Horrors.

We were in the middle of the process of buying our Big Red House.

We had lost the building that we had really thought would be our next adventure ... and I was mourning that adventure more than anyone around me knew. It is still too painful to talk about most days.

We were winding down the school year, the ballet classes, our homeschool co-op ....

We were in the midst of Bright Star Rehearsals and voice lessons. (That i went to 6 nights a week.)

I was still trying to maintain some kind of personal training schedule, but by this time I had cut back to only one ... my first client -- my friend.

I was also really sick.

I had strep for over a month in a half. It got so bad, and I kept it a secret for so long because I didn’t want it to affect Bright Star. So instead, I pushed and pushed my body until it collapsed, and I fell asleep for a spti second while driving and realized I needed to go to the doctor.

My family and I were tired.

But after Bright Star came Matilda, and then Pollyannna, more lessons, more gymnastics, more birthday parties, more camps ...

Just more busy.

I swore after Pollyanna I would take a break, but then the opportunity to play Elizabeth in Young Frankenstein came. I took it. I was so tired, but how could I pass up the opportunity to work with some of the most talented people I have ever met?

I knew when I walked into the rehearsals for the Bright Star Reunion and Laura pulled me aside and said “You need a break. You are running yourself weary,” that she was right.

But I powered through.

And don’t get me wrong. I was weary, but I was loved. My family and friends were amazing. My new theatre family had embraced me. I loved every moment and there were many amazing, joyous, even brilliant moments! I loved them. I soaked them all in.

My husband was amazing. For months he worked full time, took care of the girls and was coaching soccer.

All while I stayed busy.

And then exactly two weeks after Young Frankenstein wrapped  -- the world stopped.

My family stopped.

I stopped.

And for 9 weeks we have stayed home. We have taken a break. We have spent time focusing on loving each other fiercely. We have focused on school, on reading, on drawing, on playing together, on just being a family. Just the simple moments. Like cooking together, or watching all the Marvel movies in order. We have been scared together. We have prayed together. Because these are the moments that I longed for, when i was “stealing away” time for them.

I guess I am posting this for my future self.

Don’t let the “busy” get in the way of these simple moments.

Be active, be creative, but always remember what is the most is within the walls of this Big Red House.

No comments: