Friday, November 09, 2018

Are you parenting with the big picture in mind?


Chances are if you’re the parent of a school-aged child, that child is involved in something: Soccer. Basketball. Academic teams. Boy Scouts. Playing an instrument. Ballet.
The list of possibilities is endless, and the time commitments are usually significant. How does one mother get four children to two activities each over the course of one week? How does she put food on the table and clean her house and handle dentist and doctor appointments?
I have no idea. I don’t have much advice either, but I will tell you “Good luck” and pat you on the back. We can both hope for the best as I leave it to the parenting experts to give you tips on how to do the humanly impossible.
After an extensive athletic career both in playing and coaching, however, I dofeel that I have enough expertise to discuss another aspect of raising a child who participates in activities.
Let me ask you a few tough questions:
  • What is your reason for allowing your child to participate?
  • Are you keeping the big picture in mind as you drive them from place to place?
  • Are you focused on what this activity is teaching your child about life?
  • What do you spend the most time thinking about: their playing time or how they’re growing as a person?
I am so honored to have had the opportunity to write this piece for The Glorious Table. To read the rest of this article, please jump to The Glorious Table here.

No comments: