Sunday, December 22, 2019

Say "NO" to elective surgeries


Three years ago, my son, Sidge was riding his scooter, when a freak accident tore the gums off his top teeth and broke numerous teeth. If you are not squeamish, you can watch a video my husband took after it happened to get advice from a friend of his who was an oral surgeon and dentist. I warn you, it is GRAPHIC and hard to watch. 

My husband tried to get another oral surgeon to do the procedure. But it was a Sunday in a small town, and he couldn't find anyone to do it. In the end, he opted to do the procedure himself. We left our other kiddos with friends who were in town, and drove up to the Emergency room with our seven-year-old trying to be calm.

On the way I said to JB, "So you are going to put him under, right?"

The answer was, "Not if I can help it."

I begged him to please put him under. I couldn't bear to watch my little guy have this work done to his mouth while he was awake. But John was determined. "Wendi, anesthesia is no joke. You don't do it if you don't have to."

My wonderful husband then proceeded to put my son's mouth back together while he was awake. 

  
People. Listen. Surgery is NOT a joke. Things can and WILL go wrong. I have lost two people in my life to death after very routine surgeries. If you can avoid it, avoid it. I have had five stomach surgeries that were unavoidable. However, if something is elective, leave it ELECTIVE and elect out. No plastic surgery is worth death. Breasts are not worth your life!!! In this case, they are blaming the doctors, but the fact is, bad things happen through no one's fault. It's about the fact that surgery is dangerous!!! Some of these parents are actually paying for these elective surgeries designed simply to improve a physical part of your body.

I have had many people I love have cosmetic surgery. Please know I am not judging you. You are totally entitled to make this decision. But please know the risks and understand that having you around is way more important!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This isn't what elective surgery means. You are talking about plastic surgery. Elective surgery is anything non-emergent. For example, cataract surgery or a hip replacement are elective surgeries and I'm sure that you wouldn't discourage those.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/types-of-surgery

Adams Griffths said...

I just love this article. Visit Profile Cosmetic Surgery Centre for any Cosmetic Surgery in Punjab.

Ayush Kumar said...

Nice !!! I really like your blog. Contact the Centre for Cosmetic Surgery in Vizag to be to overcome the shortcomings of your body.