Thursday, December 27, 2012

Some truths

People ask how it feels to be in America after three years living overseas. There are many things that "jump out" at me. Here are just some interesting things I've noted:
  • I am anonymous. I don't run into people I know. I don't recognize any faces.
  • Super Target is beyond big. The toy aisles are never-ending. How would a parent decide?
  • Stores open early! Oh is this a fantastic treat. I could actually go run errands at 8am instead of waiting until 10am which I have had to do both in Turkey and in the Azores.
  • An American washing machine is big! I can fit everything in it that's dirty at one time.
  • You cannot know what is going to be for dinner and get something at the last minute. It's very strange to live in a place with so many fast food choices.
  • There are stoplights. Everywhere. (The island only has three in total I think!)
  • There is traffic. While driving is like riding a bike, remembering how to drive in traffic takes a bit of time to recall. (Ask my sister-in-law Adrienne who I relinquished the wheel too when the traffic became too heavy and my driving made her too nervous.)

2 comments:

Patty PB said...

Wendi! You drove in TURKEY!!!! lol!!!
I guess you do forget to drive in 'organized' traffic after this crazyness...
love and miss u!

Jenny said...

I know what you mean, it's reverse culture shock! The first time I was on a six lane road again I nearly had a panic attack!