Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Steps to Surviving a -29 degree day

Today, it was -29 degrees with windchill. While I am still adamantly against complaining about the weather, I still think that is important to educate the public (primarily all the people who live in Florida) of how to survive a cold Minnesota day. I especially thought this was important after all the wonderful emails I received today mocking the fact that it was ONE HUNDRED degrees colder in Minnesota today than it is Fort Lauderdale to educate you STUPID FLORIDIANS! (I am not jealous ... I am not jealous ... I am not jealous ... I am not jealous ... I am not jealous.)

I have two pairs of these boots -- in brown and in black. I wear these with warm socks. You can also see the tights that I wear under my jeans as well. My first winter I did not know about the tights and my second year I was still not wearing boots everyday. Now I wear boots everyday. If my boots don't match, I wear them and change my shoes when I get to work.

Okay, now pay attention. The key to warmth is layers. Here you will notice three layers. The shirt underneath, the sweater, and then the pullover jacket.


I add another layer to this with another coat.

Okay I have now added gloves and a scarf and a hat. This scarf is really not thick enough. I've been looking for a thicker one I really like.

On really cold days I wear a pullover over my hat to keep the back of my neck warm. Then I add the scarf. I wrap the scrap around my face. This can cause difficulty with my glasses fogging but it is worth the inconvenience.

On days that are not quite as cold, you have option to do the "New York" tie to the scarf. This is warm as well but is dangerous as it leaves a significant amount of space exposed.


Children, as illustrated by Karuna above, must also prepare for the cold. Karuna can't move, but she is warm!

Karuna and Wendi minus Wendi's facial covering.

Okay, this is a recent tool we have uncovered. These are heating pads that slip into specially designed socks. These help keep your feet warm when you are in the house. Cold feet is a real problem in the cold.

My friend Kristen made me the rice bean bag warmer when I told her that JB is against electrical currents running through blankets and whatnot. You put this in the microwave for 3 minutes and it keeps your feet warm for hours.

Another HUGE problem in the winter is very dry skin. We run a humidifier in both rooms but my hands are just so chapped. These are gloves that actually dispense lotion from inside them. These are amazing! Once the lotion runs out, you can actually put your own lotion on and then the gloves.

Okay, not that you know all the steps, you are ready to come visit me in the winter in Minnesota. I do find it ironic though that we had so much company from March until November and now, nothing. What's with that!?!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendi,..
This is hilarious:-)
You are funny and even though we are a few hours "south" of you ..Us NW Iny people are Freckin' Freezin' too:-)
So don't feel alone. We aren't living it up either..But you will be soon..Just think..Cruise..Cruise..Cruise..!!!
Love ya..and I am soo sorry I have,t written or e-mailed lately..busy..I will catch -up tom:-)
Love,
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I should have never read that post! How will I ever run away from my faith living in Minnesota in the future! Rana