Sunday, November 06, 2022

In a moment ...

In a moment ... everything you think can come crashing down. 

In a moment on Sunday morning, John and I drove to the Emergency Room. He was the husband of a patient. As John explained to those we loved later: 

She's got a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) ... also know as a blood clot ... in her leg.

She's also got a PE (pulmonary embolism) ... a blood clot in the lungs.

Part of the blood clot in the leg broke up and traveled to (and gets stuck) in the lungs. 

This was caused by a combination of a long plane flight and possibly medicine she was on for her migraines. (The flight alone can cause this.) This was a known risk of the medicine; but her migraines were so bad, it was a risk we were willing to take. Fortunately, the medicine helped with the migraines, but unfortunately, the gamble was bad because she got a blood clot.

She's stopping that medicine (obviously), and she'll be on an anticoagulant medicine for the next 3 months or so, until her body breaks down the blood clots. 

There's lots more I can share about this experience, and as I usually do, I will probably do that through blogging and words. 

For now, I'm laying low and recovering.

There were lots of tears yesterday as I, especially, realized the gravity of the situation. Many people that have a PE, do not have warnings. They simply fall over, dead. 

I did not die. (Obviously.)

But the thought that I nearly did is very hard to digest. 

Your prayers are so appreciated,

Wendi


No comments: