Friday, March 20, 2020

Being a survivalist

Our problems and pain are universal and increasing, and the solutions to the problems are and always will be based upon universal, timeless, self-evident principles common to ever enduring, prospering society throughout history.
Stephen R. Cowey 

I want to start this post by saying my husband is a very wise man. 

For years he has been talking to me about survivalism. Many would call him a prepper but due to negative connotations, he liked to call himself a survivalist. He said preppers were a bit fanatical. He was reasonable. He just wanted to have the things on hand that you might need if things in our world went south. 

I honestly mostly avoided the conversations. Or tried to change the topic. They were too negative for me. I liked optimistic thinking. Let's just think nothing bad will ever happen. Be Pollyanna. What's wrong with Pollyanna?

And so my husband did most of his "preparing" in quiet. He'd talk to his Dad about it or a few of his like-minded friends. But he only gave me the important information. He respected the fact that I supported him but didn't want to know everything. 

I asked my husband one time if he really, truly thought something could happen to bring our country and maybe even our world to its knees. He said the only thing he thought could really do it was a pandemic. 

Last night as I sat on my couch while my husband took his post-work contamination-shower and put the kids to bed, I had a moment.

I realized that my husband had created, with this farm, exactly what he had hoped. It was a happy place for us to live. But it was also a place that could take care of us if things weren't happy. If the world was falling apart around us, we could go on living. 

We have everything we need here on this farm to live for a long time comfortably. John has created that. And he did it with my help. Even though I didn't really realize I was actually helping him in achieving some of these goals, I was.

And now I GET IT!

And my hope is that the world will GET IT! I hope that this will change us. And that we will be a better people because of this. And we will be more prepared. 

John shared a video series with me that I thought might interest folks. It's called Wartime Farm and it was produced by the BBC and is available on youtube. 

I will be writing more about this, but for now, I write that my husband is wise. He bought this farm with this pandemic tucked away in the back of his mind. And I am so thankful he did. 

No comments: