Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The great outdoors


I thought today would be a good day to share with you my experiences in the Minnesota wildnerness. I had the pleasure of spending 5 days and 4 nights in the boundary waters in Minnesota ... right near the Candian border. John, his youngest sibling, Robbie (who is now 16) and myself went up to Orr Minnesota and took a canoe trip through the boundary waters.

It was absolutely one of the most beautiful experiences I have ever had. It was also one of the coldest experiences I have ever had. Apparently it was an unseasonably cold snap that left us with some forty degree nights and fifty degree days. I basically wore my long johns, sweat pants, and rain pants (at the same time) and long john shirt, fleece, and rain jacket over the top of that. I told John before we left that I didn't need a rain jacket or rain pants. They were very expensive, and well, if it rained, no biggie. I just want to say now that that rain "outfit" was my best friend on this trip.

We fished, played lots of cards and yhatzee, and after Robbie and I got stuck in the middle of the lake one time, didn't go out without John in the back streering us. John brought amazing food (no surprise there) and packed everything we could possibly need for the trip. We had an absolutely fabulous time even though I am not in a hurry to get back!

On the way back, we got stuck in a rain storm and Robbie and John -- they are the MEN! They paddled AGAINST THE CURRENT for over 12 miles back to where we started our trip. WOW! I sat on the bottom of the canoe to keep it balanced, and froze my toosh off! Here are a few other pictures of us to share our canoeing adventure :)


No comments: