Sunday, September 05, 2010

Fridge

Our refrigerator is home to many interesting items.
Included is a "boo-boo-bunny" and a "boo-boo-monkey." These are items that can help "heal" a hard scrape or bruise better than any doctor perscribed treatment.
Yesterday.
Elijah falls. (Not unusual.) He bumps his head on the hard floor inbetween our living and dining room. I can hear the thump, and he starts screaming. Understandably so.

As I hold him and he sobs and his nose and his eyes begin gushing tears and who knows what else, I turn around and see that Isaac has gone into the refrigerator.

Inside I think, oh great. When it rains ... it pours. Why was Isaac picking this moment to disobey and go into the refrigerator without permission.

Since the evening has been about the boys being crabby and not listening like, at all, I nod my head in the direction of the refrigerator, and JB scoops in behind Isaac, obviously intending to discipline him for getting something out of the refrigerator without permission.

One second before JB can say, "Isaac what are you doing? You knwo better than to go in the refrigerator without permission. You need to sit in time-out ..." and Isaac emerges from his cold cave with "boo-boo-monkey" in hand.

He walks up to me, the cold compress we keep in the refrigerator for medical "non-emergencies in his tiny little hands. "Here Ewijah," he says, and hands it to me. "Put dis on his head Mommy. It's boo-boo-monkey."

JB looked up and me and just breathed a visible sigh that he hadn't disciplined him before he saw his kind intentions. The sweet moments are so wonderful. They often are readily available. But when they occur, you find yourself visibly smiling -- on the inside and the outside.

P.S. I won't go into details about how just moments later Isaac was directly responsible for another huge bruise on Elijah's head. That's entirely beyond the point.

No comments: