Sunday, September 30, 2007

Good bye to a great weekend

What a fabulous few days. JB and I concluded our weekend with a night at the bay. JB brought his fishing pole, and I brought Scrubs. Scrubs played for an hour while JB finally agreed to only "four more casts." Scrubs also scared a huge bird silly after he chased him down the beach. He also found a neighbor's dog to swim with for a bit.

As I laid on the sandbar, I couldn't help but think, "We live here. We really, really live here." It is just amazing to me that we live right by the beach -- I mean one block from the beach. It is amazing that I can lay in any body of water in September. Can I do that at any time in Minnesota? (Here's the part where the Minnesotans -- and Ebby -- post and tell me that you can. But I don't buy it. I went to Boundary waters in July folks. And I wore three layers of clothing. IN JULY!)

The only bad thing? Well, for one, I actually started getting chilly in the water as the sun dropped from its peak in the sky. This is a bad sign. It means that there will come a time, in the not-so-distant future, that we will not be able to swim in the water. I was hoping that my Minnesota blood would stand tall and proud, and I would be one of those people that we used to make fun of by whispering, "Must be a tourist. Real Floridians don't get in the water after October." But alas ... my blood is not Minnesotan. It's Florida blood through and through. I will not look like a tourist because, well, the water was cold, and I even tried to talk JB into giving me his dry shirt for the short walk home.

Oh, and one more bad thing. Apparently, salt water serves as an enema of sorts -- if you drink enough of it. Not that I sat around and drank salt water all night long -- but another, shorter, spotted friend of ours did. Poor guy drank two whole bowls of water when he got home to make up for all the salt water that shot straight through him. JB and I planned to run to the grocery store together, but in order to protect everything we own, I stayed home and took the dog out four times an hour. Here's hoping it's all out of his system so I can sleep sweetly.

Have I told any of you lately how much I love living here?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I honestly don't know if I would get in the Minnesota water at any time of the year. Way too cold! I don't get in the California water when we are out there either.

The ocean here is still warm. You can walk right it and not get chilled. That is one thing that I love about here. You can enjoy the ocean after all the tourists have left.

At low tide we have a sand bar. You can go so far out and still only be waist high. It is a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you were going to get chilled down there eventually or not! :) It was in the 50-60's here the other night. I cozied up in sweats and layered the blankets on our bed. David was on call, so I was left to fend for my own warmth. Remember when we used to live in the Towers, and you would always have the heat up in your apartment, and it would always be off in our apartment? We are going to see how long we can go before turning the heat on in our house. I'm hoping to make it to mid-November or even December if we can just layer enough. I may buy a space heater for the bathroom in the morning. But other than that, we are going to layer layer layer! :)